AmazonLOVE

www.amazonlove.org
The time is Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Free Rain
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 pm 
VIP

Does anyone know where I can get free rain effects?

Post subject: Re: Free Rain
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

I have a way to do it, but it's a process.

Blender is free, and has built-in "particle physics." One of the physical effects is rain. It looks pretty good, actually.

I could write a quick tutorial... or maybe I'll just make a rain-field model and post it. Should be fairly painless to create.

Let me know how big of a field you need. You can always post multiple instances if you need a bigger area.

What is your timeline for needing it?

Pac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:59 am 
VIP

Anytime from now to a week from now would be good. I think the field needs to be as big as possible just to be safe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Valkyrie2Cain wrote:
Anytime from now to a week from now would be good. I think the field needs to be as big as possible just to be safe.

Okay, next question: driving rain, angled, straight down, drizzle, what details can you provide? Also, 3Delight shaders, iray shaders? What are you rendering in?

A pic would probably work best for the rain description.

Thanks,

Pac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, here's a quick stab at it:

The rain field is about 5000 particles (low poly "drops") over a 50 x 50 x 30 area. The drops are "traditionally" shaped (meaning that fake teardrop shape that doesn't exist in real life). I elongated it slightly to give it a motion effect.

I added no texture, just reduced opacity to 30%. You can put on a shader or whatever if you want, but all the 3Delight water shaders I own dial down opacity to almost zero, so they barely show up against a background. Even with specularity and glossiness at 100% there's very little raindrop appearance in my 3Delight renders.

I did not use Uberenvironment2 for these renders. I'll test that out next:

Attachment:
File comment: This is the rain field with no modifications. I put it against a few of Powerage's Residential buildings. The F40 I found somewhere... lol. Lights are one distant light with color reduced to 135 for RGB and intensity dialed down to 70%. I added a quick three point light rig to accent the car. Lights in the rig are at 40% each.

light rain - 100 pct scale vertical 0 degree all angles.jpg

light rain - 100 pct scale vertical 0 degree all angles.jpg [ 1.26 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: For this rain effect I angled the field to 25% on the z-axis and elongated the y- axis by 200% to simulate the harder rainfall

heavy rain - angled on z y axis elongation 200 pct.jpg

heavy rain - angled on z y axis elongation 200 pct.jpg [ 1.26 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
downpour - angled on z y axis elongation 500 pct 3x rain field models overlapping.jpg

downpour - angled on z y axis elongation 500 pct 3x rain field models overlapping.jpg [ 1.33 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Okay, kind of lame examples without one of my girls in it. Shelly has a bunch of wet Body Geo Shell effects. The car has reflection dialed up and also the concrete beneath her feet for the wet look.

downpour - all the other stuff plus reflection and glossiness dialed up - and Shelly of course.jpg

downpour - all the other stuff plus reflection and glossiness dialed up - and Shelly of course.jpg [ 1.45 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

I didn't change the lighting for any of these renders. If you really wanted realism (in 3Delight, it takes a lot more effort), there are nice volumetric cameras by Age of Armor that give fog and haze effects when rendering through that camera.

Let me know what you think of this. It's super fast and simple. I didn't do any materials with this model, since it's rain. All you need to do is dial back opacity. You could even alter opacity for the duplicate rain models and get a "sheeting" effect in the different areas.

Despite having a lot of polys (according to Daz, each rain field has 1.6 million polys!), it renders very fast in 3Delight (each of mine took about a minute for this scene, even when I tripled the rain fields). That's probably because there are no surface effects or textures.

Best,

Pac